Congrats to the graduating class of 2018! As you embark onto the next chapter of your life, shit is about to get real. Here are a few words of wisdom from yours truly:
1. Sleep now. Like right now. You wont get much of it over the next few years as you try to exceed at work and maintain a semblance of a social life
2. If you don’t think you can pick up everything and move to a new city, you can.
3. Your starting salary is going to suck. Before you accept, ask if you can revisit in 6 months - that way you will have already proven yourself and most likely taken on more responsibility, putting you in a much better place to negotiate
4. Travel before you start working. Before you actually have limited "vacation days"
5. Don’t be afraid to use your personal connections. If you are looking for a job, send your resume to everyone you can. Your friend’s older siblings, that sorority sister living in NYC, your mom’s friend Carol. You never know where an opportunity can come from.
6. Stay late at work if you have to, but don’t let it become a habit. Make it a point to establish work-life boundaries early on.
7. Find people with careers you admire and ask them out to coffee to pick their brain. You might feel like a weirdo but I can promise you that person has been in your shoes before and will appreciate the tenacity. Plus, you’ll be surprised how much you can learn.
8. Date around. If someone isn’t treating you well in a relationship, don’t waste your time. You will soon learn that time is your most valuable asset. #byeFelicia
9. You don’t have to sleep with someone on the third date. I know that seems like what adults do, but it’s not. Go at your own pace, whatever that is.
10. Remember how stressed out you were during finals week? Not to scare you, but in the real world, every week is finals week. Figure out what helps you relax and take care of your body and mind. You will have lots of ups and downs and make plenty of mistakes in your transition to adult world. That’s how you learn. Go easy on yourself and enjoy the ride!!!!